I would say the most challenging process of this drawing was the placement of color, hahahaahah.
I Love Basquiat’s hair.
He was a very unique “gifted” individual.
The reason why I put “gifted” in quotation marks.
I often hear artists or musicians be called “gifted” in interviews or compliments.
This has happened to me as well.
In saying another is gifted and yourself is not is quite a paradox.
We are all “gifted.”
It is just how you use your “gift” in this world.
Look within yourself and listen to that subconscious of yours.
Who are you deep within your soul?
Life is a gift.
I did not stress myself out as much on the process of this drawing compared to most.
The person in this drawing is Jean Michel Basquiat.
I am guessing if you “know” your art you will know who “Basquiat” is.
If you do not understand art history, it will be quite confusing to understand the meaning of Basquiat’s paintings.
The style of art Basquiat created was Neo-expressionism, Primitivism, and contemporary art.
Some will say his artwork is rubbish others will see the pure organic beauty in each brush stroke.
You can sit down and observe a single piece of art for an infinite amount of time.
There is always something to learn even though you think there is nothing to learn.
In the end, art is subjective and the viewer manifests an opinion/perception of each artwork they observe.
In my perception. What the “individual” sees within the art itself is a reflection of their soul at this moment.
Here are a few quotes I would like to share by Jean Michel Basquiat. I relate to what he says within each quote. I am sure many other individuals will as well.
– ” I am not a black artist, I am an artist.”
– “I wanted to be a star, not a gallery mascot.”
– “I cross out words so you will see them more; the fact that they are obscured makes you want to read them.”
– “I was a really lousy artist as a kid. Too abstract expressionist; or I’d draw a big ram’s head, really messy. I’d never win painting contests. I remember losing to a guy who did a perfect Spiderman.”
– “I don’t listen to what art critics say. I don’t know anybody who needs a critic to find out what art is.”
– “I like kids’ work more than work by real artists any day.”
– “There are about 30 words around you all the time, like “thread” or “exit.”
– “I want to make paintings that look as if they were made by a child.”
– “The black person is the protagonist in most of my paintings. I realized that I didn’t see many paintings with black people in them.”
There are many more quotes I could post that I can relate to. I will stop before I get too carried away.